Saturday, April 20, 2013

review: Lover At Last by J.R. Ward

Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)Lover At Last ~ J.R. Ward
4 of 5 stars

Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one. (thanks GoodReads.com for the summary)

My Thoughts -
**This may contain spoilers - sorry ahead of time** 

OMG - about time. We've been waiting for like ever for this to happen. And whoo, did it happen. Several times.

As always with the BDB books, there are multiple story line in correlation with the main HEA focus. There's Qhuinn & Blay, Layla & Xcor, Assail & Sola and the other characters are here and there. Here's my opinion on all it.

First off, I really hate how Layla was treated by Havers. I wanted to kick his ass for treating her like she was nothing, seriously. I applaud Quinn for his behavior when they made the return trip.

Xcor, could you just please get over yourself and live in the now? I understand that in the Old Country you're used to sleeping on a stone floor and pillaging for whatever, but you're in America now - adapt and progress. If you weren't such a fucktard, you could have had your chosen. I liked Layla's line where she says something like "Do you have to be their enemy?" - just shows his stupidness.

Assail and Sola - interesting. Assail, you better pick a side a stop the crap with the Lessers. That shit is going to get you killed for treason. For reals. I liked their dynamic and think their story will progress quite nicely...if he can find her.

Luchas - just Holy Cow. That's it.

Trez and Selena - I want it to happen.  So much. Oh so much.  I like the Shadows and want them to end up with a HEA.  And what about iAM?

OK - Qhuinn and Blay.  Finally. So, so hot. I understand where both of them were coming from. Blay should have said something sooner, but then so should have Quinn.  I know Quinn tried, but Blay didn't listen, the dumb ass.  Communication is key people.  These two were just meant to be together and you could really feel the heat and passion between them.  The glimpses into their lives was interesting and really made me like these guys so much more.  I loved the part with Blay's family - they were just awesome.

In some aspects I really feel like too many issues were left hanging. (see above thoughts). I am disappointed that I only recall seeing one VERILY, but the other formal language made up for it I think.  I so enjoy Ward's writing. Not overly full of description and great dialog.  Definitely must read in order with the other books.  Great addition to the series and I will most assuredly read the next one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment