Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Breeds #22 - Styx's Storm by Lora Leigh

Styx's Storm (Breeds, #22)Styx's Storm by Lora Leigh

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
***Spoilers!!!

Check out my blog: Escape by Fiction

Oh Lora Leigh, you have done it again. I laughed, I cried and I was confused.

Storm was only 14 when she witnessed her father and brother, scientists working at Breed labs, being brutally killed. Entrusted with data regarding a secret experiment, she's been on the run from the Council and Breeds ever since - not knowing who she can trust. On the run for 10 years, Storm trusts no one.



Styx has been assigned to tracking Storm, and has been for the past 2 years. He also is tasked with getting that special data from her as well. Finally, after she slips and he saves her - he takes her to his hotel room for some HOT HOT lovin'. She thinks he can't tell who she is because she'd taken some scent neutralizing pills. Yeah right. A breed can always find their mate.

Storm is taken to Haven, the wolf version of Sanctuary, and held at Styx's cabin. She's terrified of all Breeds, all except Styx. She feels safe and at home with him - which totally goes against everything she had lived for the past 10 years. After a few failed escapes and the mysterious mating hormone not making an appearance when making it an 'almost mating', Storm realizes she's falling in love with a Breed and that the rest of the Breeds may not be as bad as she had believed.

On the night of a big party, Storm decides to hand over the data but gets kidnapped after an explosion happens. The kidnapper? The Coyote Breed whom killed her family and the one woman she's come to trust throughout the years. She gets away, the baddies get caught and the mating hormone finally makes an appearance. Yay - HEA.

Now I liked the story and usually when I have tears it's an automatic 5, but this time I just couldn't. I had too many problems with the story - the timing mainly. So there's going to be a party - is it next week, the day day or what? That whole situation with Cassie and the party made the timing feel off to me.

I also have a really big problem with the word WOMB. It does not inspire the tingly bits to get warm at all, quite the opposite actually. Replace with something like CORE and I don't think there'd be a problem.

And the repetitiveness - seriously. I know it's important to re-state keys points of a story throughout it, but I think she went on a cut & paste frenzy in some spots. I mean, you really don't need to say that the characters is afraid of and doesn't trust Breed due to what happened to her father and brother in every other paragraph, really.

Other than my issues, I liked the story. I enjoyed the characters personalities and I liked peering more into the world of the Breeds.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment