Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Feast: A Harvest of Dreams - Merrie Destefano


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Madeline MacFadden ("Mad Mac" to fans of her bestselling magical stories) spent blissful childhood summers in Ticonderoga Falls. And this is where she wants to be now that her adult life is falling apart. The dense surrounding forest holds many memories, some joyous, some tantalizingly only half-remembered. And she's always believed there was something living in these wooded hills. 



But Maddie doesn't remember the dark parts -- and knows nothing of the mountain legend that holds the area's terrified residents captive. She has no recollection of Ash, the strange and magnificent creature who once saved her life as a child, even though it is the destiny of his kind to prey upon humanity. And soon it will be the Harvest. . . the time to feast.

Once again Maddie's dreams -- and her soul -- are in grave danger. But magic runs deep during Harvest. Even a spinner of enchanted tales has wondrous powers of her own.

Summary courtesy of GoodReads.com

My review:
It took me a while to read this. I had a hard time getting into it – maybe it’s just not my genre. I thought it was a paranormal romance, but it’s not. There’s not really any romance at all and I really would have liked more.

I think what was hardest for me was the switching back and forth between characters. I think I really would have liked Maddie a lot more if I’d had more consecutive time with her. Another thing I had a hard time was that I really didn’t know what was going on, it wasn’t clear. I felt like there was a book before it out there somewhere and I really should have read it first to get this one, but there wasn’t.

I enjoyed the last 150 pages or so the best, when most of the action was a little more fast-paced. I liked Ash’s daughter and how she took control when she needed to even though she felt like an outsider. I would probably read a story about her and Jake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment